- Grossly is defined as something done in a disgusting manner, or is something that is extreme or excessive.
- When you do eat in an unpleasant and disgusting way, this is an example of behaving grossly.
- When something is extremely, ridiculously overpriced, this is an example of a time when it is grossly overpriced.
Variant of gross
- big or fat and coarse-looking; corpulent; burly
- glaring; flagrant; very bad: a gross miscalculation
- dense; thick
- lacking fineness, as in texture
- lacking fine distinctions or specific details
- lacking in refinement or perception; insensitive; dull
- vulgar; obscene; coarse: gross language
- Slang unpleasant, disgusting, offensive, etc.
- with no deductions; total; entire: gross income
- Archaic evident; obvious
Origin of grossMiddle English grose ; from Old French gros, big, thick, coarse ; from Late Latin grossus, thick
Origin of grossME groos < OFr grosse, orig. fem. of gros
to earn (a specified total amount) before expenses are deducted
Slang to disgust, shock, offend, etc.
in the gross
- in bulk; as a whole
- wholesalealso by the gross