Variant of gross
- big or fat and coarse-looking; corpulent; burly
- glaring; flagrant; very bad: a gross miscalculation
- dense; thick
- lacking fineness, as in texture
- lacking fine distinctions or specific details
- lacking in refinement or perception; insensitive; dull
- vulgar; obscene; coarse: gross language
- Slang unpleasant, disgusting, offensive, etc.
- with no deductions; total; entire: gross income
- Archaic evident; obvious
Origin: Middle English grose from Old French gros, big, thick, coarse from Late Latin grossus, thick
Origin: ME groos < OFr grosse, orig. fem. of gros
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.