grammar school definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- ☆ Now Rare an elementary school: the term was variously applied to different school levels, esp. to that between the fifth and eighth grades
- in England
- Historical a school where Latin was taught
- a government-supported secondary school preparing pupils for college
grammar school definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- See elementary school.
- Chiefly British A secondary or preparatory school.
- A school stressing the study of classical languages.