- Now Rare an elementary school: the term was variously applied to different school levels, esp. to that between the fifth and eighth grades
- in England
- Historical a school where Latin was taught
- a government-supported secondary school preparing pupils for college
grammar schoolgrammar school
- See elementary school.
- Chiefly British A secondary or preparatory school.
- A school stressing the study of classical languages.
(plural grammar schools)
- (archaic) A school that teaches its pupils the grammar system of a European language, especially Latin and Greek.
- (chiefly UK) A secondary school that stresses academic over practical or vocational education, until recent times open to those pupils who had passed the 11-plus examination.
- (US, rare, regional) Elementary school.