- The definition of gnarled is being knotty, roughened or misshapen.
An example of something gnarled is the trunk of an old oak tree.
An old gnarled tree.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- knotty and twisted, as the trunk of an old tree
- roughened, hardened, sinewy, etc., as hands that do rough work
Origin: ult. from Middle English knorre, a knot: see knur
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Having gnarls; knotty or misshapen: gnarled branches.
- Morose or peevish; crabbed.
- Rugged and roughened, as from old age or work: the gnarled hands of a carpenter.
Origin: Probably variant of knarled, from knarl, tangle, knot, alteration of Middle English knarre, knot in wood; see knar.