- The definition of gnarled is being knotty, roughened or misshapen.
An example of something gnarled is the trunk of an old oak tree.
An old gnarled tree.
- Having gnarls; knotty or misshapen: gnarled branches.
- Rugged and roughened, as from old age or work: the gnarled hands of a carpenter.
Origin of gnarledProbably variant of knarled, from knarl, tangle, knot, alteration of Middle English knarre, knot in wood; see knar.
(comparative more gnarled, superlative most gnarled)
- simple past tense and past participle of gnarl (Etymology 1)
First attested Shakespeare 1603:
- Thy sharpe and sulpherous bolt Splits the vn-wedgable [unwedgable] and gnarled Oke [oak].
- Measure for Measure, Act II, scene ii, line 116
- simple past tense and past participle of gnarl (Etymology 2)
See gnarl (Etymology 2)