- The definition of gnarled is being knotty, roughened or misshapen.
An example of something gnarled is the trunk of an old oak tree.
An old gnarled tree.
gnarled definition by Webster's New World
- knotty and twisted, as the trunk of an old tree
- roughened, hardened, sinewy, etc., as hands that do rough work
Origin: ultimately ; from Middle English knorre, a knot: see knur
gnarled definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having gnarls; knotty or misshapen: gnarled branches.
- Morose or peevish; crabbed.
- Rugged and roughened, as from old age or work: the gnarled hands of a carpenter.
Origin: Probably variant of knarled, from knarl, tangle, knot, alteration of Middle English knarre, knot in wood; see knar.