A Christmas fruitcake.
fruitcake definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a rich cake containing nuts, preserved fruit, citron, spices, etc.
- Slang a foolish, eccentric, or crazy person
- ☆ Slang a male homosexual: term of contempt or derision
fruitcake definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A heavy spiced cake containing nuts and candied or dried fruits.
- Slang A crazy or an eccentric person: “a fruitcake under the delusion that he was Saint Nicholas” (John Strahinich).
fruitcake - Phrases/Idioms
see nutty as a fruitcake.