freestyle definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Sports not limited to a specified style, pattern of movement, etc.
- a freestyle competition
- Swimming a race in which contestants may use any stroke but most use the crawl
- a style of wrestling in which any hold or throw is allowed
freestyle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a. A swimming event or leg of an event in which the contestants may choose any stroke.b. The crawl.
- A competition, as in figure skating, skiing, or surfing, in which any maneuver or movement is allowed and competitors are judged on their artistic expression, acrobatic skill, and athletic expertise.
- A style of wrestling in which all noninjurious holds or tactics are permitted.
- freeˈstyleˌ adverb & adj.
- freeˈstylˌer noun