- resting on its own support, without attachment or added support
- independent; unaffiliated: a free-standing store, company, etc.
The definition of free standing is something - usually furniture, cabinets or appliances, that can remain in the appropriate upright position on its own without help from external forces or without being bolted or attached to the wall.
An example of a free standing cabinet is a bookshelf that just stands on the floor as opposed to being built in like most kitchen cabinets.
- Wine refrigerators come in many sizes - from counter top units that hold a few bottles to large free-standing units that can hold an entire wine collection.
- MAG Mutual: MAG Mutual Insurance Agency supplies professional liability insurance for employees of clinics and other free-standing medical facilities.
- Peegee hydrangea (H. paniculata) - Peegee hydrangea are the largest of the free-standing types, growing 15 to 20 feet high and 10 to 15 feet wide.
- Candolier - If you'd rather not attach your electric candles to the window, a free-standing fixture like this one would work well in a window.
- If you are a frequent visitor of the mall or free-standing Sears stores, making your payments in person at the store can be a good option.