- The definition of freelance is someone who does work for individual buyers.
An example of freelance is a graphic designer doing a job for someone who is not their employer.
- Freelance is defined as a working arrangement when a person sells their services to individual buyers with whom they are not employed.
An example of freelance is someone writing songs for many different musicians.
verbfree·lanced, free·lanc·ing, free·lanc·es
- To work as a freelancer: a journalist who freelances.
- To act independently without orders from another: an official who was freelancing when he committed the crime.
nounalso free lance
- A freelancer.
- An uncommitted independent, as in politics or social life.
- A medieval mercenary.
(comparative more freelance, superlative most freelance)
- Of, or relating to a freelance; without contract
- He was a freelance writer for several magazines.
(third-person singular simple present freelances, present participle freelancing, simple past and past participle freelanced)