- The definition of freelance is someone who does work for individual buyers.
An example of freelance is a graphic designer doing a job for someone who is not their employer.
- Freelance is defined as a working arrangement when a person sells their services to individual buyers with whom they are not employed.
An example of freelance is someone writing songs for many different musicians.
Origin of freelancefrom free lance
intransitive verb-·lanced·, -·lanc·ing
verbfree·lanced, free·lanc·ing, free·lanc·es
- To work as a freelancer: a journalist who freelances.
- To act independently without orders from another: an official who was freelancing when he committed the crime.
nounalso free lance
- A freelancer.
- An uncommitted independent, as in politics or social life.
- A medieval mercenary.
(comparative more freelance, superlative most freelance)
- Of, or relating to a freelance; without contract
- He was a freelance writer for several magazines.
(third-person singular simple present freelances, present participle freelancing, simple past and past participle freelanced)