Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a person or thing that strings
- a long piece of timber used as a support; specif.,
- a horizontal timber connecting upright posts in a frame
- a long, lightweight structural member of an airplane fuselage, rocket, etc.
- ☆ a string or metal line with clips on which caught fish are strung
- ☆ a person serving as a part-time, local correspondent for a newspaper, magazine, etc.
- ☆ a person ranked according to ability: second-stringer
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One that strings: a stringer of beads.
- Architecture a. A long heavy horizontal timber used as a support or connector.b. A stringboard.
- A horizontal timber used to support upright posts.
- Sports A member of a specified string or squad on a team. Often used in combination: a first-stringer; a second-stringer.
- A part-time or freelance correspondent for the news media.