free kickfree kick
- Football a kick, usually a kickoff, after which the ball may be recovered by either team
- Soccer any kick awarded to a team due to a penalty by an opponent
- Sports An unobstructed kick of a stationary ball, as in soccer or Rugby, especially one that is awarded when the opposition commits a foul.
- Football See safety kick.
(plural free kicks)
- (American football, soccer, Australian rules football, rugby, other ballgames) a kick in which a player may kick the ball without interference from the opposition. Such a kick may be awarded for a foul by the opposition, or earned by a player such as by taking a mark.
- (Gaelic football) The usual means of restarting play after a foul is committed, where the non-offending team restarts from where the foul was committed.