- The definition of a foothold is a place of stability where you can put your foot while climbing or the state of being secure enough to move forward.
- A large and solid rock where you can rest your foot while climbing is an example of a foothold.
- When a disease advances far enough that it is likely to infect a very large number of people, this is an example of a situation where a disease has a foothold.
- a place to put a foot down securely, as in climbing
- a secure position from which it is difficult to be dislodged
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A place providing support for the foot in climbing or standing.
- A firm or secure position that provides a base for further advancement.