- a small space or ledge for supporting the toe of the foot in climbing, etc.
- any means of surmounting obstacles, gaining entry, etc.
- a slight footing or advantage
- Wrestling a hold in which one wrestler twists the other's foot
See toehold in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- A small indentation or ledge on which the toe of a shoe can find support in climbing.
- A slight or initial yet significant advantage useful for future progress: Family connections gave her a toehold in politics.
- Sports A wrestling hold in which one competitor wrenches the other's foot.
Learn more about toehold