toehold definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a small space or ledge for supporting the toe of the foot in climbing, etc.
- any means of surmounting obstacles, gaining entry, etc.
- a slight footing or advantage
- Wrestling a hold in which one wrestler twists the other's foot
toehold definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A small indentation or ledge on which the toe of a shoe can find support in climbing.
- A slight or initial yet significant advantage useful for future progress: Family connections gave her a toehold in politics.
- Sports A wrestling hold in which one competitor wrenches the other's foot.