- a fortified place or position established by an attacking force on the enemy's side of a bridge, river, defile, etc.
- beachhead (sense )
- a. A fortified position from which troops defend the end of a bridge nearest the enemy.b. A forward position seized by advancing troops in enemy territory as a foothold for further advance.
- The area immediately adjacent to the end of a bridge.
Origin of bridgeheadTranslation of French tête de pont : tête, head + de, of + pont, bridge.
- An area around the end of a bridge.
- (military) A fortification around the end of a bridge.
- (military) An area of ground on the enemy's side of a river or other obstacle, especially one that needs to be taken and defended in order to secure an advance.
- (chemistry) Either of the two atoms in different parts of a molecule that are connected by a bridge.