- The definition of excruciating is something that is extremely bad, such as extreme pain or extreme mental anguish.
Getting a tooth pulled without Novocaine is an example of something that might be described as excruciating.
excruciating definition by Webster's New World
- causing intense physical or mental pain; agonizing
- intense or extreme: with excruciating attention to detail
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- excruciatingly adverb
excruciating definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Intensely painful; agonizing.
- Very intense or extreme: wrote with excruciating precision.
- ex·cruˈci·atˌing·ly adverb
Variant of excruciate
- excruciation noun