- The definition of a dove is a small white pigeon used as a symbol for peace, or a person who wants peace.
- An example of a dove is a little white bird with a round body, small head and short legs that makes cooing sounds.
- An example of a dove is a congressperson who does not want the U. S. to go to war.
A dove in flight.
dove definition by Webster's New World
- pigeon, esp. the smaller species: it is often used as a symbol of peace
- ☆ an advocate of measures in international affairs designed to avoid or reduce open hostilities
- a person regarded as gentle, innocent, or beloved
Origin: Middle English douve ; from Old English an unverified form dufe or Old Norse dūfa, akin to Gothic dūbo, German taube ; from Indo-European an unverified form dheubh-, obscured, dark (of color) ; from base an unverified form dheu-: see dull
- dovish adjective
dove definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of various widely distributed birds of the family Columbidae, which includes the pigeons, having a small head and a characteristic cooing call.
- A gentle, innocent person.
- A person who advocates peace, conciliation, or negotiation in preference to confrontation or armed conflict.
Origin: Middle English douve, from Old English *dūfe.
- dovˈish adjective
- dovˈish·ness noun
Variant of dive
- to plunge headfirst into water
- to go underwater; submerge, as a submarine or skin diver
- to plunge the hand or body suddenly into something: to dive into a foxhole
- to bring oneself zestfully or with abandon into something: to dive into one's work
- to make a steep, sudden descent or take a sudden drop, as an airplane
Origin: Middle English diven ; from Old English dyfan, to immerse, causative of dufan, to dive, akin to Old Norse dȳfa, to plunge, dūfa, a wave ; from Indo-European base an unverified form dheup-, deep
- to cause to dive; specif., to send (one's airplane) into a dive
- Archaic to explore or penetrate by or as by diving
- a plunge into water headfirst; esp., any of various formalized plunges performed as in a competition
- any sudden plunge or submersion
- a sharp descent or sudden drop, as of an airplane
- Informal a cheap, disreputable saloon, gambling place, etc.
- Football a play in which a running back carries the ball while plunging directly into the line a short distance away