- having lost class; lowered in social status
- vulgar, unseemly, gauche, etc.
Origin of déclasséFr, past participle of déclasser, to cause to lose class: see de- and class
- Low or lowered in class, rank, or social position.
- Characteristic of the lower classes; of low social status: “young professionals who would never stoop to anything so déclassé as packing a lunch” ( Richard Powers )
Origin of declasseFrench past participle of déclasser to lower in class dé- down ( from Latin dē- ; see de- . ) classe class ; see class .
- The feminine form déclassée is often used with female subjects.