- The definition of a debtor is someone who owes money or an obligation to a creditor.
If you owe money on your credit cards, this is an example of a time when you are a debtor.
Origin of debtoraltered (after L) ; from Middle English dettur ; from Old French detor ; from Classical Latin debitor ; from debitus, past participle of debere: see debt
- One that owes something to another.
- One who is guilty of a trespass or sin; a sinner.
Origin of debtorMiddle English dettour, from Old French dettor, from Latin dēbitor, from dēbitus, past participle of dēbēre, to owe; see debt.
- (economics) A person or firm that owes money; one in debt; one who owes a debt
- (law) One who owes another anything, or is under obligation, arising from express agreement, implication of law, or principles of natural justice, to pay money or to fulfill some other obligation; in bankruptcy or similar proceedings, the person who is the subject of the proceeding.
debtor - Investment & Finance Definition
A person or entity who seeks voluntary relief under the Bankruptcy Code or who has been forced involuntarily into a Chapter 7 or 11 bankruptcy case by petitioning creditors.
debtor - Legal Definition