- a disabled, ineffectual, or helpless person or thing
- ☆ an elected official whose term extends beyond the time of the election at which he or she was not reelected
- a. An elected officeholder or group continuing in office during the period between failure to win an election and the inauguration of a successor.b. An officeholder who has chosen not to run for reelection or is ineligible for reelection.
- An ineffective person; a weakling.
(plural lame ducks)
- (colloquial) A person or thing that is helpless, inefficient or disabled.
- (US, politics) An elected official who has lost the recent election or is not eligible for reelection and is marking time until leaving office.
- Congressman Jones was a lame duck and did not vote on many issues that were important to his constituents.
- (finance, slang, dated) A person who can not fulfil his contracts.
18th century - A person who had defaulted in the London Stock Exchange was said to waddle out of Exchange Alley like a lame duck.
- See lame duck.
lame duck - Legal Definition
Colloquial; often pejorative