- The definition of a crouch is a position where your knees are bent and your upper body is down lower to the ground.
The position you are in when you bend your knees and get down low to talk to a child is an example of a crouch.
- To crouch is to bend at the knee and bring your upper body down closer to the floor.
When you bend down to be at the same level as a child you are talking to, this is an example of a situation where you crouch.
crouch definition by Webster's New World
- to stoop or bend low with the limbs drawn close to the body, as an animal ready to spring or cowering in fear
- to cringe or bow in a servile manner
Origin: Middle English crouchen ; from Old French crochir, to be bent ; from croc, a hook: see crosier
crouch definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb crouched, crouch·ing, crouch·es verb, intransitive
- a. To stoop, especially with the knees bent: crouched over the grate, searching for his keys.b. To press the entire body close to the ground with the limbs bent: a cat crouching near its prey.
- To bend servilely or timidly; cringe.
Origin: Middle English crouchen, probably from Old North French *crouchir, to become bent, variant of Old French crochir, from croche, hook; see crochet.