A lovely countryside view.
The definition of countryside is a rural area, or the people who live there.
An example of a countryside is a vast expanse of farmland.
- A rural region.
- The inhabitants of a rural region.
(plural countrysides) (typically used with the definite article)
country + -side
- Do you ever miss the countryside? she asked.
- But Bolingbroke had already seized Chester, and was marching against him at the head of such a large army that the countryside refused to stir.
- Edward was able to occupy many towns and castles, but the broken bands of the insurgents lurked in the hills and forests, and the Countryside as a whole remained unsubdued.
- In the countryside the insurrection was accompanied by wholesale burnings of manor-rolls, the hunting down of unpopular bailiffs and landlords, and a special crusade against the commissioners of the poll-tax and the justices who had been enforcing the Statute of Laborers.
- It was coal country, or had been, as much of the depressed countryside screamed of poverty.