- The definition of confluence is the place where two or more things merge, or the act of merging.
The location were two rivers merge is an example of a confluence.
- a flowing together, esp. of two or more streams
- the place where they join, or a stream formed in this way
- a coming together as of people; crowd; throng
Origin: Old French ; from Late Latin confluentia ; from Classical Latin confluens, present participle of confluere ; from com-, together plush fluere, to flow: see fluctuate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A flowing together of two or more streams.b. The point of juncture of such streams.c. The combined stream formed by this juncture.
- A gathering, flowing, or meeting together at one juncture or point: “A confluence of negative events conspired to bring down bond prices” (Michael Gonzalez).
confluence - Medical Definition
confluence - Science Definition
- A flowing together of two or more streams or two or more glaciers.
- The point of juncture of such streams or glaciers.
- The combined stream or glacier formed by this juncture.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.