comparison[kəm par′ə sən]
- The definition of a comparison is the act of finding out the differences and similarities between two or more people or things.
An example of comparison is tasting different years of pinot noir wine back to back and discussing their differences.
- a comparing or being compared; estimation of similarities and differences
- sufficient likeness to make meaningful comparison possible; possibility of comparison; similarity: there is no comparison between the two singers
- Gram. the modification of an adjective or adverb in its positive degree to show the comparative and superlative degrees (Ex.: long, longer, longest; good, better, best; slowly, more slowly, most slowly)
Origin of comparisonMiddle English ; from Old French comparaison ; from Classical Latin comparatio ; from past participle of compare
in comparison with
- a. The act of comparing or the process of being compared.b. A statement or estimate of similarities and differences.
- The quality of being similar or equivalent; likeness: no comparison between the two books.
- Grammar The modification or inflection of an adjective or adverb to denote the positive, comparative, and superlative degrees, as in English, along with the equative degree in certain other languages, such as Irish Gaelic.
Origin of comparisonMiddle English comparisoun, from Old French comparaison, from Latin comparātiō, comparātiōn-, from comparātus, past participle of comparāre, to compare; see compare.
- The act of comparing or the state or process of being compared.
- to bring a thing into comparison with another; there is no comparison between them
- An evaluation of the similarities and differences of one or more things relative to some other or each-other.
- He made a careful comparison of the available products before buying anything.
- With a negation, the state of being similar or alike.
- There really is no comparison between the performance of today's computers and those of a decade ago.
- (grammar) The ability of adjectives and adverbs to form three degrees, as in hot, hotter, hottest.
- That to which, or with which, a thing is compared, as being equal or like; illustration; similitude.
- (rhetoric) simile
- (phrenology) The faculty of the reflective group which is supposed to perceive resemblances and contrasts.