intransitive verb, transitive verb climbed, climbing
- to go up by using the feet and, often, the hands
- to rise or ascend gradually to a higher point; mount
- to move (down, over, along, etc.), using the hands and feet
- ☆ to get (into or out of clothes or a piece of clothing) hastily, perfunctorily, etc.
- Bot. to grow upward on (a wall, trellis, etc.) by winding around or adhering with tendrils
ME climben < OE climban < IE *glembh- (> clamber, clump) < base *gel-, to make round, clench, as the fist: basic sense, “to cling to, grip”