- The definition of chocolate is a food substance that is made with cacao beans mixed with sweetener, or having a deep brownish and reddish or grayish coloring.
- An example of something chocolate is a cup of cocoa, sugar and hot milk.
- An example of something chocolate is the color of a Twix candy bar.
- Chocolate means prepared cacao seeds mixed with a sweetener, or a deep brownish color with red or gray tones.
- An example of chocolate is a Milky Way candy bar.
- An example of chocolate is the color of a Snickers bar.
Several chunks of chocolate.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a paste, powder, syrup, or bar made from cacao seeds that have been roasted and ground
- a drink made of chocolate, hot milk or water, and sugar
- a candy made of or coated with chocolate
- reddish brown
Origin: uncertain or unknown; perhaps via French chocolat ; from Spanish chocolate ; from Nahuatl čokola:λ
- made of or flavored with chocolate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Fermented, roasted, shelled, and ground cacao seeds, often combined with a sweetener or flavoring agent.
- A beverage made by mixing water or milk with chocolate.
- A small, chocolate-covered candy with a hard or soft center.
- A grayish to deep reddish brown to deep grayish brown.
- Made or flavored with chocolate: chocolate pudding.
- Of a grayish to deep reddish brown to deep grayish brown.
Origin: Spanish, from Nahuatl xocolatl : xococ, bitter + atl, water.
- choc·o·lat·y, choc·o·lat·ey adjective