- The definition of brunt means the main shock or responsibility.
- An example of a brunt is the hardest hit part of a car in an accident.
- An example of a brunt is having the main responsibility for all of the parts of a group project.
- the shock (of an attack) or impact (of a blow)
- the heaviest or hardest part: to bear the brunt of the blame
Origin: Middle English bront ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Old Norse bruna, to rush
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The main impact or force, as of an attack.
- The main burden: bore the brunt of the household chores.
Origin: Middle English, perhaps of Scandinavian origin.