- The definition of breadth refers to the width of something or how far something extends.
- A room that is 20 feet wide is an example of a room with a breadth of 20 feet.
- The extent of your knowledge on a subject is an example of the breadth of your knowledge.
breadth definition by Webster's New World
- the distance from side to side of a thing; width
- a piece of a given and regular width: a breadth of satin
- lack of narrowness or of restriction: true breadth of understanding
- Art an effect of unity and inclusiveness achieved as by subordinating details
Origin: Middle English bræde ; from Old English brædu ; from brad, broad; -th by analogy with length
breadth definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The measure or dimension from side to side; width.
- A piece usually produced in a standard width: a breadth of canvas.
- a. Wide range or scope: breadth of knowledge.b. Tolerance; broadmindedness: a jurist of great breadth and wisdom.
- An effect of unified, encompassing vision in an artistic composition.
Origin: Middle English breth, from brede (on the model of length, length).