- The definition of bathe means to wet your or body in water or to take a bath.
To jump in a lake and swim after a long day of hiking is an example of to bathe.
A mother about to bathe her baby.
bathe definition by Webster's New World
- to put into a liquid; immerse
- to give a bath to; wash
- to wet or moisten: sweat bathed his brow
- to cover or envelop as if with liquid: the trees are bathed in moonlight
Origin: Middle English bathen ; from Old English bathian ; from bæth, bath
- to take a bath; bathe oneself
- to go into or be in a body of water so as to swim, cool oneself, etc.
- to soak oneself in some substance or influence
- bather noun
bathe definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb bathed bathed, bath·ing, bathes verb, intransitive
- To take a bath.
- To go into the water for swimming or other recreation.
- To become immersed in or as if in liquid.
- To sunbathe.
- To immerse in liquid; wet.
- To wash in a liquid.
- To apply a liquid to for healing or soothing purposes: bathed the wound with iodine.
- To seem to wash or pour over; suffuse: a room that was bathed in sunlight.
Origin: Middle English bathen, from Old English bathian.
- bathˈer noun