bathing - Ologies & -Isms Definition
See also cleanliness.balneography a treatise on baths. balneology the study of the therapeutic uses of various types of bathing; hydrotherapy. —balneologist, n. —balneologic, balneological, adj. bathophobia an intense dislike of bathing. caldarium Ancient Rome. a room where hot baths were taken. hydrotherapy the treatment of diseases through the use of water, whether internal or external, as whirlpool baths, compresses, or drinking mineral waters. Also hydrotherapeutics. —hydrotherapist, n. —hydrotherapeutic, hydrotherapeutical, adj. Kneippism a 19th-century treatment of diseases by types of hydrotherapy, as warm or cold baths and walking barefoot in dewy grass.
Variant of bathe
- to put into a liquid; immerse
- to give a bath to; wash
- to wet or moisten: sweat bathed his brow
- to cover or envelop as if with liquid: the trees are bathed in moonlight
Origin: Middle English bathen ; from Old English bathian ; from bæth, bath
- to take a bath; bathe oneself
- to go into or be in a body of water so as to swim, cool oneself, etc.
- to soak oneself in some substance or influence
- bather noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.