Steps leading down to a basement.
- the foundation or lower part of a wall or structure
- the lowest story of a building, below the main floor and wholly or partly below the surface of the ground
- Geol. the oldest layer of igneous and metamorphic rocks in the crust of the earth, covered by layers of more recent, usually sedimentary rocksin full basement complex
Origin of basementbase + -ment
- The substructure or foundation of a building.
- The lowest habitable story of a building, usually below ground level.
- A complex of undifferentiated igneous and metamorphic rocks underlying sedimentary strata.
- Slang The last place or lowest level, as in competitive standings.
- Chiefly New England A public toilet, especially one in a school.
Origin of basementProbably base1 + –ment (perhaps influenced by French soubassement, subfoundation).