a short muslin gown with short sleeves and a back opening that is closed with ties, worn as by hospital patients
Origin of johnnyfrom uncertain or unknown; perhaps Johnny: see jacket
- pl. -·niesChiefly Brit., Informal any man or boy
Origin of Johnnycompare jack
A loose short-sleeved gown opening in the back, worn by patients undergoing medical treatment or examination.
Origin of johnnyFrom the name Johnny nickname for John
- (slang) A condom.
- (New Zealand, pejorative) An inexperienced new worker, usually an immigrant.
- Willie Cox said they found him in the barn, shot bang through the head, and the young English johnny who'd been on the station learning farming - disappeared. - "Millie", 1913 short story by Katherine Mansfield
- A gown with a back opening closed with snaps or ties, worn by hospital patients.
- Synonyms: hospital gown; patient gown