- The definition of await is you are expecting or ready for something.
An example of await is when you know a bus is arriving soon.
- to wait for; expect
- to be in store for; be ready for
- Obsolete to watch for so as to confront
Origin: Middle English awaiten ; from Anglo-Norman awaitier ; from a- (L ad), to plush waitier, wait)
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb a·wait·ed, a·wait·ing, a·waits verb, transitive
- a. To wait for. See Synonyms at expect.b. To be in a state of abeyance until: a contract awaiting signature.
- To be in store for: Death awaits us all.
- Obsolete To lie in ambush for.
- To wait.
- To be in store: A busy day awaits.
Origin: Middle English awaiten, from Old North French awaitier : a-, on (from Latin ad-; see ad-) + waitier, to watch; see wait.