- The definition of an auditorium is a place to which people may come to observe a sports event or performance.
An example of an auditorium is the large room in which parents may gather to watch their child's musical performance at school.
An empty auditorium.
- a room for the gathering of an audience, as in a school, library, etc.
- ☆ a building or hall for speeches, concerts, etc.
Origin of auditoriumClassical Latin neuter of auditorius: see auditory
nounpl. au·di·to·ri·ums or au·di·to·ri·a
- A large room to accommodate an audience in a building such as a school or theater.
- A large building for public meetings or performances.
Origin of auditoriumLatin, from audīre, to hear; see au- in Indo-European roots.
(plural auditoriums or auditoria)
From Latin audītōrium, from audītōrius (“pertaining to hearing”).