The definition of activism is the use of direct action to achieve an end, either for or against an issue.
When people tie themselves to trees to protect the forest from being cut down, it is an example of activism.
the doctrine or policy of taking positive, direct action to achieve an end, esp. a political or social end
The use of direct, often confrontational action, such as a demonstration or strike, in opposition to or support of a cause.
active + -ism
- An example of this was Pedro Zamora, who was openly homosexual during filming of the San Francisco house, and eventually succumbed to AIDS in 1994, after a long battle with the disease and plenty of activism credited to his name.
- Jesus Christ Superstar debuted in the 1970s, when political activism was at an all time high, and the play sought to link the relationship between Jesus and Judas to those of modern political activists.
- SmartWool also provides grants and other support to groups concerned with environmental activism, working to preserve areas where the outdoors may be enjoyed by all for generations to come.
- The show exemplifies the political activism of the generation, and along the way, it managed to challenge and change the accepted norms of Western culture.
- Coldplay is well known for their social activism, especially in fair trade campaigns, and they give 10% of their earnings to charitable causes.