The definition of activism is the use of direct action to achieve an end, either for or against an issue.
When people tie themselves to trees to protect the forest from being cut down, it is an example of activism.
the doctrine or policy of taking positive, direct action to achieve an end, esp. a political or social end
The use of direct, often confrontational action, such as a demonstration or strike, in opposition to or support of a cause.
active + -ism
- Coldplay is well known for their social activism, especially in fair trade campaigns, and they give 10% of their earnings to charitable causes.
- Known for his animal rights activism and as a crusader for many good causes, few suspected Phoenix as a drug user.
- Her mother's battle with the illness is sure to be a contributing factor to Applegate's activism in breast cancer awareness.
- Carson, on the other hand, is not against environmental activism per se, but she is far less dedicated to the movement.
- If huge stage productions scream U2, then political activism certainly does as well, especially when it comes to singer Bono.