The definition of activism is the use of direct action to achieve an end, either for or against an issue.
When people tie themselves to trees to protect the forest from being cut down, it is an example of activism.
the doctrine or policy of taking positive, direct action to achieve an end, esp. a political or social end
The use of direct, often confrontational action, such as a demonstration or strike, in opposition to or support of a cause.
active + -ism
- Carson, on the other hand, is not against environmental activism per se, but she is far less dedicated to the movement.
- The show exemplifies the political activism of the generation, and along the way, it managed to challenge and change the accepted norms of Western culture.
- Known for his animal rights activism and as a crusader for many good causes, few suspected Phoenix as a drug user.
- An example of this was Pedro Zamora, who was openly homosexual during filming of the San Francisco house, and eventually succumbed to AIDS in 1994, after a long battle with the disease and plenty of activism credited to his name.
- Jesus Christ Superstar debuted in the 1970s, when political activism was at an all time high, and the play sought to link the relationship between Jesus and Judas to those of modern political activists.