The tribe of drama critics.
A tribe of graduate students.
- Any of the three divisions of the ancient Romans, namely, the Latin, Sabine, and Etruscan.
- Any of the 12 divisions of ancient Israel.
- A phyle of ancient Greece.
- Any of the three divisions of the ancient Romans, traditionally of Latin, Sabine, and Etruscan origin.
- Any of the later political and territorial divisions of the ancient Romans.
- Any of the phylae of ancient Greece.
- Any of the twelve divisions of the ancient Israelites.
An example of a tribe is the dead heads who followed the Grateful Dead.
An example of a tribe is the Choctaw American Indians.
Other Word Forms
Origin of tribe
- Middle English from Old French tribu from Latin tribus division of the Roman people perhaps of Etruscan origin or possibly from tri- three trei- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition