An example of service is to fix a broken washing machine.
An example of service is to provide appetizers to a group of people at a restaurant.
An example of service is a bartender providing a cocktail to someone.
An example of service is a mechanic fixing the brakes on a truck.
An example of service is an elevator in a hotel that is meant to be used by hotel staff.
That cable company services most households in the area.
A service guarantee; a road service area.
An example of service is a man or woman who is a US Marine.
An example of a service is a funeral.
An example of a service is a Shabbat gathering at a synagogue.
An example of a service is a Sunday church meeting.
Held services in the evening; a memorial service.
Service a car.
A service elevator; the service entrance.
A service industry.
A restaurant noted for its fine service.
Silver tea service.
- Of or relating to the armed forces.
- Providing repair, maintenance, supplies, etc.
- Providing services, rather than goods.
A service entrance.
Lancelot was at the service of King Arthur.
He was going to service her.
An example of service is the US Navy.
- Ready to help or be of use.
- To be ready to help or be useful.
- Ready to serve or cooperate with someone.
- Ready for someone's use.
- Be helpful or useful.
- In use; functioning.
- In the armed forces.
- Working as a domestic servant.
Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
Origin of service
- Middle English from Old French from Latin servitium slavery from servus slave
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Old French servise (French: service).