- a holy person
- a person who is exceptionally meek, charitable, patient, etc.
- [pl.] those, esp. holy persons, who have died and are believed to be with God
- in the New Testament, any Christian
- [S-] a member of any of certain religious groups calling themselves Saints
- in certain Christian churches, a person officially recognized as having lived an exceptionally holy life, and thus as being in heaven and capable of interceding for sinners; canonized person
Origin of saintOld French from Ecclesiastical Late Latin sanctus, saint from L, holy, consecrated, past participle of sancire, to consecrate, akin to sacer: see sacred