- The hollow stemlike main shaft of a feather. Also called calamus .
- Any of the larger wing or tail feathers of a bird.
- A writing pen made from the shaft of a feather.
- Music a. A plectrum for a stringed instrument of the clavichord type.b. A pipe having a hollow stem.
- A toothpick made from the stem of a feather.
- One of the sharp hollow spines of a porcupine or hedgehog.
- A spindle or bobbin around which yarn is wound in weaving.
- A hollow shaft that rotates on a solid shaft when gears are engaged.
verbquilled, quill·ing, quills
- To wind (thread or yarn) onto a quill.
- To make or press small ridges in (fabric).
Origin of quillMiddle English quil