Origin of prankEarly Modern English from uncertain or unknown; perhaps or akin uncertain or unknown; perhaps to prank
If you want to play a good prank on someone, place a whoopee cushion on his chair.
When you put a whoopie cushion on someone's chair, this is an example of a prank.
Origin of prankEarly ModE, probably from Low German source, as in Dutch pronken, to make a show
Origin of prankOrigin unknown
transitive verbpranked, prank·ing, pranks
Origin of prankFrom Middle English pranken to show off perhaps from Middle Dutch pronken ( from pronk show, display ) and from Middle Low German prunken ( from prank display )
(third-person singular simple present pranks, present participle pranking, simple past pranked, past participle pranked or archaic prankt)
(comparative more prank, superlative most prank)
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
From Middle English pranken (“to adorn, arrange one's attire"), probably from Middle Dutch pronken, proncken (“to flaunt, make a show, arrange one's attire"). Cognate with Middle Low German prunken (“to flaunt"), German prunken (“to flaunt"), Danish prunke (“to make a show, prank"). Connected also with German prangen (“to make a show, be resplendent"), Dutch prangen (“to squeeze, press"), Danish pragt (“pomp, splendor"), all from Proto-Germanic *pranganÄ…, *prangijanÄ…, *prag- (“to press, squeeze, thring"), from Proto-Indo-European *brAngh- (“to press, squeeze"). Sense of "mischievous act" from earlier verbal sense of "to be crafty or subtle, set in order, adjust". See also prink, prance.
- Whenever you're searching for ghost videos online, the first thing you'll notice is that a significant number of them are spoofs or prank videos that are meant to poke fun at the entire field of the paranormal.
- Either avoid these videos completely, or if you aren't sure it's a prank then mute the sound and minimize the video so it doesn't fill the entire screen - this will reduce the shock factor if it's a prank.
- If you have concerns that the potential victim may suffer some harm to his or her health as the result of your free practical jokes due to shock value, then it's a good idea to choose a different prank.
- Certainly you'll have to worry about being punished if a prank goes wrong, but more importantly, you should be concerned with the physical and emotional safety of your family members when pulling a prank.
- If you decide to prank Mom and Dad as a funny joke over April Fools or for a few laughs when they get home from work, you'll have to determine how to prank your parents in a safe and responsible manner.