- any thin, flat piece of metal, wood, etc., with a picture, design in relief, etc., hung as on a wall for ornamentation
- a wall tablet inscribed to commemorate an event, identify a building, etc.
- a platelike brooch worn as a badge or ornament
- an abnormal patch on the skin, mucous membrane, etc.
- a thin, transparent film on a tooth surface, containing mucin, bacteria, etc.: if not removed it forms tartar and promotes tooth decay
- a deposit of fatty or fibrous material in a blood vessel wall
Origin of plaqueFrench from Middle Dutch placke, disk, spot, patch