An example of oil is applying a lubricant to a bike chain.
An example of oil is putting lotion on someones feet before rubbing them.
An example of oil is petroleum from beneath the earth.
An example of oil is what you'd mix with vinegar for a salad dressing.
An example of oil is what cooks use for frying food.
- To bribe:An attorney who tried to oil the judge's hand to obtain a favorable verdict.
- To give a tip to:Oiled the porter's palm.
- to settle quarrels, differences, etc. by calm, soothing methods
- to discover oil under the ground by drilling a shaft for it
- to become suddenly wealthy
Origin of oil
- Middle English from Old French oile from Latin oleum olive oil from Greek elaiwon, elaion from elaiwā, elaiā olive
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition