- light (adjective): often used in brand names
- light (adjective): often used postpositively
- An example of something lite is a lite soda that has fewer calories than regular soda.
- An example of something lite is lite jazz, or jazz music that has good sound, but lacking in quality jazz characteristics.
Origin of -liteFr, for -lithe: see -lith
- a. Having fewer calories or less of an ingredient than a food or beverage of the same kind: lite beer; lite salt.b. Having less weight than others of the same kind: lite trucks.c. Less serious, severe, difficult, or extensive than others of the same kind: “lite music, shimmering on the surface and squishy soft at the core” ( Mother Jones )
- Used after a common noun or especially a proper noun to indicate that something, such as a work or action, is less serious, severe, difficult, or extensive than what is considered typical of the specified noun: “Compared with 'Gravity's Rainbow' or 'V.' … this novel is Pynchon Lite” ( Michiko Kakutani )
Origin of liteAlteration of light 2
Origin of -liteFrench alteration of -lithe from Greek lithos stone
- Light in composition, notably low in fat, calories etc. Most commonly used commercially.:
- His lite dinner consisted of crackers, some broccoli and a salad with lite ranch dressing.
- Informal spelling of light.
- My favorite color is lite blue!
- (usually used postpositively) Lacking substance or seriousness.
Variation of light (“light-weight, diet")
(comparative liter, superlative litest)
- (UK, dialect) few; little
(third-person singular simple present lites, present participle liting, simple past and past participle lited)
- (UK, dialect) The act of waiting; a wait.
- To avoid excess baggage charges and the cumbersome process of juggling a lot of luggage, companies like Babies Travel Lite offer services that deliver over 1,000 name brand baby products to your travel destination.
- Besides the Nintendo Wii, you can also find support information for other Nintendo products like the DSi and DSi XL, the DS Lite and regular DS as well as the other Game Boy systems and a general support site for older Nintendo consoles.
- Not only did it feel great in our hands, it looked rather sharp and fit snugly into the stylus slot on the DS unit.Now the Nintendo DS Lite comes along and brings a longer, thicker pack-in stylus that sheathes in the side of the system.
- Most of these programs have "lite" versions that allow you to log in and use a web-based version if you are near a computer but away from your own, and most smart phones, including Blackberry, have mobile versions of the programs.
- To accompany the launch of the slimmer, smaller and brighter DS Lite, Shigeru Miyamoto and crew over at Nintendo let us go retro while looking to the future at the same time with New Super Mario Bros for the Nintendo DS.