An example of lesson is to teach someone to play the guitar.
An example of a lesson is an English teacher's plan for her next class.
Lessons from observing nature.
- An exercise or assignment that a student is to prepare or learn within a given time; unit of instruction.
- The instruction given during one class or instruction period.
- Something that needs to be learned (or the event through which it is learned) for the sake of one's safety, well-being, etc.
- Course of instruction.Music lessons.
Nature has many lessons to teach to us.
Origin of lesson
- Middle English lessoun from Old French leson from Latin lēctiō lēctiōn- a reading from lēctus past participle of legere to read leg- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Old French leÃ§on, from Latin lÄ“ctiÅ (“a reading"), from legÅ (“I read, I gather").