Origin of homicideMiddle English from Old French from Late Latin homicidium, manslaughter, murder from Classical Latin homicida, murderer from homo, a man (see homo) + caedere, to cut, kill: see -cide any killing of one human being by another
Origin of homicideME < OFr < L homicida a person who kills another
- a police division responsible for investigating homicides
- When a criminal murders someone, this is an example of homicide.
- The police department that investigates a murder is an example of homicide.
The definition of homicide is the deliberate and illegal murder of another person, or the department in the police agency that is authorized to investigate murders.
- The killing of one person by another, regardless of intention or legality.
- A person who kills another person.
Origin of homicideMiddle English from Old French from Latin homicīdium homicīda homō man ; see dhghem- in Indo-European roots. -cīdium -cīda -cide
- (uncountable) The killing of one person by another, whether premeditated or unintentional.
- (countable) A person who kills another.
- (countable, US, police jargon) A victim of homicide; a person who has been unlawfully killed by someone else.
From Old French homicide, from Latin homicīda (“man-slayer”) and homicīdium (“manslaughter”). Equivalent to + -cide.
homicide - Legal Definition
The killing of a human being, committed by another.justifiable homicide
The killing of a human excused by the law as appropriate or necessary; for example, in self-defense.negligent homicide
The killing of another by an act of irresponsibility or lack of attention to duty, rather than by intentional act.vehicular homicide
The killing of another by operation of a motor vehicle; generally the driver’s acts must be more than just negligent; for example, in a motor vehicle accident arising from the intoxication of the driver, where another is killed.
- Juries would not punish homicide with severity.
- Driven from Calydon for homicide, he goes with Deianeira to Trachis.
- The seat of the old oligarchical council and court for homicide was probably on its eastern height.
- Even the homicide detectives were surprised by the macabre level of this crime.
- Jurisdiction in cases of homicide and the care of sacred olive trees.