The death of imperialism.
An example of death is when a person takes his last breath and dies.
An example of death is when a person is no longer alive.
An example of death is when a program loses all its funding and ends forever.
A heroine's death.
The death of our hopes.
The Black Death.
Drugs were the death of him.
Smoking will be the death of him.
- Near to death; gravely ill or injured.
- To distress or irritate to an intolerable degree.
- Opposed to or strict about:.Our boss is death on casual dressing.
- To execute.
- To an intolerable degree; extremely:.Worried to death.
- Until one participant in a fight or struggle has died or been killed.
- Nearly dead.
- To deal with in a devastating manner.
- To kill.
- To use, perform, etc. so often that it becomes tiresome; overdo.
- Present at the killing of the quarry by the hounds.
- Present at the end or culmination.
- To kill or cause to be killed; execute.
- To the extreme; very much.He worries me to death.
- To the very end (of a struggle, quarrel, etc.).
- To the end of life; always.
Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
Origin of death
- Middle English deeth from Old English dēath dheu-2 in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition