The death of imperialism.
An example of death is when a person takes his last breath and dies.
An example of death is when a person is no longer alive.
An example of death is when a program loses all its funding and ends forever.
A heroine's death.
The death of our hopes.
The Black Death.
Drugs were the death of him.
Smoking will be the death of him.
- Near to death; gravely ill or injured.
- To distress or irritate to an intolerable degree.
- Opposed to or strict about:Our boss is death on casual dressing.
- To execute.
- To an intolerable degree; extremely:Worried to death.
- Until one participant in a fight or struggle has died or been killed.
- nearly dead
- to deal with in a devastating manner
- to kill
- to use, perform, etc. so often that it becomes tiresome; overdo
- present at the killing of the quarry by the hounds
- present at the end or culmination
- to kill or cause to be killed; execute
- to the extreme; very muchHe worries me to death.
- to the very end (of a struggle, quarrel, etc.)
- to the end of life; always
Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
Origin of death
- Middle English deeth from Old English dēath dheu-2 in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition