A homeless man asleep on the street.
- The definition of homeless is not having a place to live or sleep.
Someone who stays in a shelter is an example of homeless.
- Homeless is defined as the group of people who have no place to live or sleep.
The people lined up outside a shelter in the evening are an example of homeless.
having no home; without a permanent place of residence
those typically poor or sometimes mentally ill people who are unable to maintain a place to live and therefore often may sleep in the streets, parks, etc.
Having no home or haven.
nounused with a pl. verb
People without homes considered as a group. Often used with the.
- She was a homeless girl – kind of put me in mind of you.
- They sat on that table for two weeks, then I finally took them to a homeless shelter.
- Picking up a hitch-hiker, giving a homeless person a dollar— things like that.
- Among the charitable institutions are the Dayton state hospital (for the insane), the Miami Valley and the St Elizabeth hospitals, the Christian Deaconess, the Widows' and the Children's homes, and the Door of Hope (for homeless girls); and 1 m.
- In a speech to the House of Representatives at this same time, Congressman Davy Crockett told the story of getting chewed out by a constituent for voting for a $20,000 emergency relief bill for the homeless in a city just wiped out by a fire.