- the mother of one's father or mother: also a term of respectful familiarity to any elderly woman
- a female ancestor
A grandmother reads to her granddaughter.
Grandmother is the mother of one of your parents.
An example of grandmother is your father's mother.
- The mother of one's father or mother.
- A female ancestor.
- paternal grandmother
- maternal grandmother
grand- + mother
- Grandmother is going to make me two new dresses.
- She suffered as a child from an affection of the eyes, and was sent to France for medical treatment, residing with her grandmother, Henrietta Maria, and on the latter's death with her aunt, the duchess of Orleans, and returning to England in 1670.
- Albany had to blockade Margaret in Stirling Castle before she would surrender her sons, After being obliged to capitulate, Margaret returned to Edinburgh, and being no longer responsible for the custody of the king she fled to England in September, where a month later she bore to Angus a daughter, Margaret, who afterwards became countess of Lennox, mother of Lord Darnley and grandmother of James I.
- I went to Memphis to see grandmother and Aunt Nannie.
- Dean assumed if Cynthia's son had traveled to see his grandmother, she had taken a turn for the worse.