(third-person singular simple present gives birth, present participle giving birth, simple past gave birth, past participle given birth)
- (intransitive, of viviparous animals) To release live offspring from the body into the environment
- It was clear that she was about to give birth.
- (intransitive, with to, of viviparous animals) To become the female parent of.
- She gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.
- (intransitive, figuratively, usually with to) To become the source of.
- Einstein gave birth to a famous equation relating energy to mass.
- To "give birth" refers to either the time of childbirth as a point in time or to the period of labor preceding childbirth.