- a breaking or dividing, specif., of the Host in the Mass
- a small part broken off; fragment; scrap
- a small part, amount, degree, etc.; portion
- Chem. a part separated by fractional crystallization, distillation, etc.
- a number expressed as a quotient of two whole numbers, as or : all fractions are rational numbers
- any quantity expressed in terms of a numerator and denominator, as x/y
Origin of fractionMiddle English from Classical Latin fractio, a breaking from past participle of frangere, break